Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving Recall


I know Thanksgiving is a week in the past now, but I still wanted to share what we did. Every year is pretty much the same; a quiet family dinner with my husband and son. However, this does in no way stop me from cooking up a storm! I start the day before and make the pies and anything else that can be pre-made such as the stuffed mushroom appetizers and the cranberry sauce. Hubby requested a mince meat pie this year.

Then at 7 am on Thanksgiving Day, I am up and making my stuffing. I make a fried bread stuffing just like my Grandmother did; she made it just like her mother did, who you know as Arthelia!
It is a simple bread stuffing with celery and onions that gets fried in butter to give it a bit of a crust before being stuffed into the turkey.
The rest of the menu included: pearl onions in white sauce (my favorite), mashed potatoes and gravy, butternut squash, traditional green bean casserole,dinner rolls, apple pie and white Muscadine Wine from the local winery Wiederkehr Wine Cellars.
I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving filled with warmth, family and fun!

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful pie and a gorgeous dress. Hope your holiday was wonderful.

    ♥Darla

    ReplyDelete